I was a bit flat today, a few things going on in the background that have been taking up brain space. I found it harder to concentrate on the DFI learning than usual. Despite that, I still learned heaps.

Hāpara tip: With Kerry Boyde-Preece

Dashboard – Drive – All Docs – can see ALL docs not just those that are filed. Handy. Kerry also suggests bringing up this Hāpara view on screen once a week (or so) and having a Drive clean-up. I will definitely do this.

Dorothy Burt:

Floorboards: “The kaupapa of LCS is simply collecting the best of teaching over the last 20 years and translating it into this digital age”

We are now looking at how to get the best of the LCS pedagogy, there are conditions that maximise the impact of the LCS pedagogy. These words are Visible, Ubiquitous, Connected, Empowered.

Dorothy asks us: If the DEFAULT is VISIBLE, then what genuinely needs to be private?

Visibility works along the lines of ‘No Surprises’ – teachers make the learning journey accessible, everything the learner needs is present in advance.

Deep Dive: Amie with Multi-Modal learning

Design for Learning – Chrissie Butler video: “We know that there’s always huge variability in the learners… and that’s a consistent..”

So exciting, my main thought is, before I go an spend hours creating a MM site for fractions, is there a database I can search to see if someone has already created what I want? And then I can redirect my energies to create something new!

Browsing the multi-modal sites – thinkings:

Identity – I loved this site. My questions were, approx how long was the kaiako thinking the students would spend to complete these tasks? E.g. was it a week’s work, a month’s? And how did the ākonga know the time expectations?

NZ Dinosaurs – the ‘getting hooked’ really worked!

Matariki – I liked this but was frustrated when some of the content was unavailable, this was such a good reminder to me about Dorothy’s kōrero this morning about VISIBILITY! 

Visuals: I really loved the sites which used heaps of still images, e.g. taking an image from a School Journal and using it as the header on the site – wondering what are the copyrights around this? Update: Things published by Min of Ed are all fine to be sued in this way.

I noticed how lots of the sites were across-level, e.g. many classes would be able to access the one site, I will keep this in mind when creating my site.

I am not super stoked with how my site has turned out so far, as Kerry warned me I became caught up in the minutiae, BUT I think I can continue to massage it into a useful site that will help colleagues as well as me.

FIgJAm:

Navigating it: Ctrl pinch, Space bar to move around

CyberSmart snippets

Smart Parents: Jeepers this is something I really need to think about as a leader in my school. We currently don’t have a plan beyond our kawa of Care sessions. I will revisit that useful prompt slide to help get us started, and talk with our Manaiakalani lead teacher about what this might look like.

Take-aways & Next Steps:

Check out some of the Class on Air lessons

Empower some Smart Parents!

One thought on “DFI Week 5: Collaborate Sites

1. Kia ora whaea Tiff,

He rawe te pānui i ōu whakaaro & akoranga nō te wiki tuarima o te DFI. Although you mentioned that you weren’t able to engage or concentrate fully, I wouldn’t be able to take that from your kōrero in your blog post. He mīharo!
    I’ve already been able to see the many things you are already doing in terms of multi modal and learning sites, so I’m looking forward to what you’ll be able to do when we dive deeper in to focusing on our own learning sites.

E mihi nui ana,
    Nā Hinewa.